While I was thinking about what to do for Sparks I had a thought and that thought was why don’t you do something with the meaning of encouragement. Of course I tried and tried to come up with something else but all I could think of was wanting Spring to get here and the sunshine and the pretty flowers to stay for a while. Then I said to myself, flowers that’s it I’ll do it on flowers. So I looked up on the internet to see what flowers are associated with encouragement and friendship and this is what I found. I have included their meanings as well.
ENCOURAGEMENT AND FRIENDSHIP FLOWERS AND THEIR MEANINGS:
- Acacia, Rose or White – Platonic love/friendship, Elegance.
- Adam’s Needle (Yucca) – Best Friends.
- Arborvitae – True and unchanging friendship.
- Black – eyed Susan – Encouragement, Motivation, Justice.
- Carnation (general) – Fascination, Friendship, Vanity, Worker’s flower, Symbolic for teaching us to find love that is between souls and not purely physical attraction, In the 17th century troops sported carnations as a sign of their bravery, Chosen as the symbol for Mother’s Day in 1907, January birth flower, Used for 1st Wedding Anniversaries.
- Daisy, Gerbera – Friendship, Sadness, Needing Protection.
- Galax – Friendship, Encouragement.
- Gerbera – Gentleness, Friendship, Loyal love, Purity, Strength, You are the sunshine of my life.
- Ivy – Affection, Dependence, Fidelity, Friendship, Wedded love.
- Periwinkle, Blue – Early Friendship.
- Phlox, Pink – Hope of new friendship.
- Rose, Yellow – Friendship or platonic love, Infidelity, Jealousy, Highest mark of distinction, Forgive and Forget.
Due to the fact of so many, furfriends, loved ones passing lately I made up a brief flower list for that to in honor of them.
FLOWERS OF SADNESS AND THEIR MEANINGS:
- Aloe – Sorrow, Grief, Integrity, Bitterness, Wisdom.
- Balm, Bee (Monarda or Bergamot) – Compassion, Empathy, Your “wiles” are irresistible.
- Canna Lily (or Flowering Reed) – Confide in Heaven.
- Clover, White – Think of Me.
- Columbine – Resolved to win, Deserted love, Folly, During the Gothic era the columbine gained a reputation of having powers to ward off evil.
- Dahlia, Variegated – I think of you constantly!
- *Dead Leaves – Sadness (*this is not a flower).
- Everlasting – Constancy, never-ending memory.
- Forget – me – not – Memories, Humility, True love, Exactly as it says, mythology describes this as the flower picked by a knight for his sweetheart before going into battle, One legend has it that God himself called it that because the plant was unable to remember the name it had been given when the world was created, Longing for loyalty.
- Hyacinth, Purple – I’m sorry, Please forgive me, Sorrow.
- Immortal Flowers ( Xeranthemum) – Unfading remembrance.
- Lady’s Seal – Be my support.
- Pansy – Holy Trinity, loyalty, Strengthens the power of the memory, Loving thoughts or “You occupy my thoughts”, Merriment, Thoughtful reflection, German word translating as “little stepmother”, Used for 1st Wedding Anniversaries.
- Periwinkle (general) – Sweet remembrance.
- Primrose – I cannot live without you, Young love, Early youth (childhood), Thoughtlessness, Frivolity, February birth flower.
- Queen Anne’s Lace – Fantasy, Haven, Self reliance, Sanctuary.
- Rose, Black – Deeper feeling of romance, Sense of mystery, Death.
- Rose, Dark Crimson – Mourning.
- Rose, Tea – I’ll remember always.
- Rosemary – Remembrance, Your presence revives me!, Glad you’re here!, Invigorating, Healing balm, Memory strengthener, Devotion, Wisdom, Good luck in the new year.
- Strawflower – Neverending remembrance.
- Sweet Pea – Meet Me!, Blissful pleasure, Tender memory, Departure, Goodbye, Thank you for a lovely time, These flowers are long-lasting after being clipped, April birth flower, Used for 30th Wedding Anniversaries.
- Sweet William – Childhood, Memory, Gallantry, Finesse, Scorn, Grant me one smile.
- Thrift (Cliff Roses) – Sympathy.
- Verbena – Faithfulness, Pray for me, Sensibility.
- Violet Purple – You occupy my thoughts, Blue love.
- Weeping Willow – Mourning.
- Yarrow – Cure for heartache, Good Health, Heals wounds, Dispels melancholy, Sorrow.
- Yew – Sadness.
- Zinnia (general)- Thoughts of absent friends either alive or passed on.
- Zinnia (mixed) – In memory of dear friend.
- Zinnia (Yellow) – Daily remembrance.
My information and some of my pictures are from Flower Meanings, A – Z Flower Dictionary and Flower Pictures , Flower Meanings Chart and Guide to Unique Gift Giving , Images of The Galax Flower and the Graphic Credit for the Purple Hyacinth goes to http://fineartamerica.com.